February 15, 2010

Slimming Down - The start of a longterm goal


When I left GA I was proud to have all of my clothes in two big 22 gallon sterilite storage containers. Along with those two I have two 44 gallon ones, filled with climbing gear and misc. items in the other. I even have two more smaller 12-15 gallon ones for food and office/books/computer stuff. I was excited to have everything I wanted to pack, plus a few extras, all loaded into the Xterra with some room to spare. That's saying something for the Xterra for sure but it's also saying something about my initial packing list... it was huge.

Of course I donated some clothes before I packed, but I did manage to get every single article of clothing besides a few jackets, packed into the two 20 gallon containers. My newest idea involves living out of a backpack for long periods of time. I'm in the process of researching other's stories to find out what they realized they needed or didn't need after months of living like this. Ideally I want to travel down to the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Cancun, Grand Cayman area to enjoy the beach for a while. I'm TIRED of the snow, haha.

Totally different lifestyle than I ever thought I would enjoy and I may not, but for now it seems really interesting. Staying the States I think I will keep my Xterra and probably even take it with me since it's providing a really good place to sleep and chill. Eventually I would like to do away with it for a while and see how that goes. No home, no car, just a backpack.

I often get asked what I do for money and/or did I save up a bunch to come travel. Everywhere I read the cycle is to work for some months or a year and then go travel with the bread you saved up. It's an awesome plan and it works for lots and LOTS of people all the time. I however an into web design, have been for almost four years now and I make ALL of my money right now from that alone. I have 3 clients that pay me either weekly or monthly and I don't have to clock in anywhere. It's the most portable job ever! I would advise the other method of saving up and then traveling though as it seems much more feasible with a lot of jobs, you don't have to have something portable necessarily to do that. If you want some more inspiration about traveling and maybe some fresh ideas on life in general, check out this website: StumbleUpon.com <-- just click on the "Stumble!" button up top to see something new and exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a me comment! You don't even have to sign up.