February 10, 2010

A tight fit for $20

No, I'm not in Tiujana! Here's what happened:

I decided to go to Fresno for 2 nights and look at backpacks and just get a dose of civilization. About 8 minutes from the house I pass by this self-storage place and see a truck & pull-behind camper wedged in the entrance gate. I decided to turn around and see if the person needed help since it looked like they were alone at first. I get out and ask the guy if he needed help, and he did... very much so. He was at least 60 and could hardly walk. Having already broken out a window on his camper by hitting the gate pole, he was upset and frustrated. So I guided him in as far as we could go but it wasn't going to fit. For the next hour we jacked up the rear of the trailer and pushed it over so it slid off the jacks, moving it further and further away from the pole it was about to hit. Sadly it just wasn't going to fit so once more he decided to try backing out and coming in at a different angle.. I had to guide.

Backing out of the gate took 12 minutes at least, he was creeping and kept wanting to know if everything was cool, even though I assured him it was fine. When he was lined up straight to pull back into the gate, the camper was about 1.5-2 inches from the pole he had hit the first time. It took some precise turning of the wheel and an ever-so-slow pace but we got it in completely. He also asked if I could help him set it up on the storage property, maybe I was such good help he figured he would keep me around for a bit? He told me he had bought the camper when he and his girlfriend decided to travel down to GA where she was orginally from. He mentioned twice that she has passed away "a couple of years ago", I felt bad for him having to deal with the camper and memories. Finally done, it had been two hours since I stopped to see what was up and now I was finally leaving on my way to Fresno. But I didn't leave empty handed! Bill gave me $20 and kept bragging about the help, which I made sure he knew was no problem.

The main reason I turned around to help Bill was not because it looked like he was in a bind, but more that I've been deprived of any new friendships in the last week + some days. I figured I'd help guide the guy in, he'd shake my hand, introduce himself, and I'd be on my way. I got a lot more than that AND got more of a story from him than anyone in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a me comment! You don't even have to sign up.