January 18, 2010

To Zion I Go!

I'm now done with the Grand Canyon! Two weeks later and missing friends already, I'm driving to Zion national park, Utah. I'm supposed to be meeting up with Keith who hiked up from the canyon floor with me this past Tuesday. He climbs a little bit so we wanted to look for some sport routes or at least get some bouldering in!


I got to the park around 9:30p so I didn't have to pay the $25 entrance fee. Also I found a camp site, sleep until 6:15a, and then got up and out before the rangers came by so I avoided another $16 for a night of sleep. Crazy how much you could spend if you weren't sneaky and aware of things. Get to your next national park at 5:30 and save $25, haha! So now that I'm up early I ate breakfast and decided to hike up to Angel's Landing before lunch. This was to be the scariest hike/scramble I've ever done in my life! I have some videos of the hike itself that I'll post soon, but I have to combine them together into one really good one first.


After hiking up to Angel's Landing I learned as I was starving that there's not ONE place to eat in Zion national park! So I had to leave the park and it was only 11:50a; meaning I'd have to stay outside of the park until 5:30p to avoid that $25. I ended up eating at the Historic Pioneer restaurant... a huge hamburger with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and ketchup. OMG it was good! After that I just piddled around town at the market and an outfitters store talking to people. Found out there was a big boulder (called The Globe) literally a few feet from the entrance on the outside of the park. Well of course I hit that up asap and it was indeed big enough to be called The Globe.


Well enough about Zion. I was there for two nights, hiked two trails, met some people, avoided $57 worth of fees, and bouldered a little bit. It was fun but I def. need to go back and spend a week or two there for the bouldering and hikes alone. Maybe I'll meet back up with Bob later this year in early fall or something.

2 comments:

Please leave a me comment! You don't even have to sign up.