January 1, 2010

Finally made it to the GC!

[skip to the photos]
Wow the canyon is HUMONGOUS! I made it here by 10am MST this morning. Took a nap and now I'm up at the restaurant where my buddy works catching up on things. I don't even know where to begin with blogging about the drive out here, there were so many amazing sights along the way! In Arkansas the only thing I remember (it was dark) was lots of water and high winds. Oklahoma was very flat with no much to see, but it made for good thinking time.Driving across Texas left me eager to see trees again. The ranches out there are literally are thousands of acres and I can imagine losing your cows on all that land pretty easily.

Now let's talk about New Mexico! The Eastern side is a little plain with gentle hills and lots of snow, but the Western side is a different story. Granted it was dark as I was driving through the mountains, but the moon lit everything up pretty well and the mountains were high with snow caps just like the cliche picture you're thinking of. Once you come out from between these two last mountains you start going down a big hill on the interstate and Albuquerque sits right in front of you. As far as you can look left, right, and foward there's the city with what looked like every light they had on. I'm not sure about the square miles compared to Atlanta but it made Atlanta look like a playground.

Arizona, the last state (for now)! Everything was covered in snow at this elevation and there were acres and acres of fluff with no footprints yet. Everything seems 'cleaner' with snow for some reason and I was really starting to experience the dry air and cold temps which felt like vacation.. you know what I mean? Well the mountains began coming in to view and as you pass through them everything flattens out again and different canyons start popping up (or down) everywhere. Once I got to the park the road was completely covered in snow, made for fun driving but it's also about sketchy when making a turn.

Now for the photos! I think the easiest thing for me to do is post on facebook, so here's the link.

1 comment:

  1. YAY GC!! I like the fireworks picture. The snow at night looks really cool too. Sounds like a great way to start off the new year :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a me comment! You don't even have to sign up.